Tuesday 5 August 2014

Wholemeal Bread With Extra Goodness

This recipe is for two 700g loaves of bread baked in 700g bread tins

450 grams of plain white flour
450 grams of plain wholemeal flour
1 tablespoon of dry yeast
9 grams of bread improver
3 teaspoons of salt
2 teaspoons of sugar
600 mls of very warm water
1 tablespoon of olive oil

EXTRAS - These can be added to the flour for extra goodness.  You can't see it in the bread like you can with multigrain.

2 tablespoons of white chia seeds
2 tablespoons of oat bran
2 tablespoons of linseed meal

Place all dry ingredients in mixer with dough hook amd mix well. You can use a large bowl and spoon ( or hands ) if you don't have mixer.  Pour in warm water and oil and mix until all ingredients are combined.

Place the dough onto a floured surface and knead for one minute.

Place the dough into large bowl and cover with a freezer bag and two hand towels.  Leave in a warm place until dough rises to twice it's size - about 40 mins.

Knead the dough lightly and divide into quarters. Place two quarters into each lightly greased bread tin. Spray well with water. .

Place tins in warm oven or warm place until dough almost reaches the top of the tins - about 30 mins. Take out of the oven .

Turn oven on to 220 c for electric or 200 c for fan forced. This takes about 10mins to heat up. As the oven heats, the dough will rise to the top of the tins or just above

Bake for 30 mins. I rotate the tins halfway through baking for even browness.

Remove from tins straight away while still hot. Allow to cool completely. Slice with a good quality bread knife 2 - 3 hours later.


NOTES -

If you don't have bread tins,  this recipe could make three smaller loaves if you use meatloaf pans.  You could also use round tins too.

Once you've made this a few times, it beomes second nature. I don't even look at the recipe. It's important to put a timer on for each stage so that you don't loose track of time.

 I also use no name flour.

You can make white bread from this recipe using 900 grams of plain white flour.

This recipe can make 16 standard sized rolls.

Although it takes about two hours to make the bread, I clean up the dishes as I go and find other jobs to do like putting a load of washing on or vacuuming.

I store the bread in the freezer in recycled bread bags.

This bread is best eaten fresh or if you freeze it,  it's great as toast.


Ingredients for bread making.

Dough mixed together

Dough in a bowl with a plastic bag and two towels

Dough has doubled in size

Dough in bread tins

Dough has risen to the top

Yummy baked wholemeal bread ( with extra goodness ) 

I hope you enjoy baking this bread as much as I do.
 

20 comments:

  1. Thank you for this bread recipe Wendy. I am going to give it a try, it sounds simple enough for me to attempt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm i ave had the pleasure of tasting this bread and it's definitely yummy Tassie POP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pinned this recipe to my pinterest board Wendy. I hope that is okay with you! Are you on pinterest by the way?? If so I will follow you if you give the link.

    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaye. I'm not on Pinterest yet. I'm still getting use to blogging and facebooking.

      Delete
  5. Thank you once again Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you tell me what bread improver is and where to buy that please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bread improver ( from what I've googled ) strengthens the flour. It's found in the supermarket just near the yeast in the flour / baking aisle. If you don't want to use bread improver gluten flour can do the same job. Just check the packet for instructions on quantities needed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy, Could you kindly tell me the dimensions of your loaf tins. I'm looking at buying some to use for your bread recipe. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm baking bread tomorrow so I'll measure them then. They are 700 gram tins.

      Delete
    2. Ok, I've just measured my bread tins. They are 27cm long x 11cm wide x 10 m deep. These are the internal measurements.

      Delete
  9. Thanks Wendy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great recipe. I love the look of your bread tins. Where did you get them from? Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bread tins came from a shop called The Mixing Bowl. It's in Hallam and Burwood Melb, Vix.

      Delete
  11. Hi Wendy,
    When you make your bread dough do you do it in two batches or does your mixer handle enough to make the four loaves? Glad to hear that you are feeling much better. Julee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julee, I make the bread dough in two batches. Now that I have two oven, I make the dough one after another. When I had one oven, I'd make one batch of dough then another 30 minutes later.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Wendy,
      I tried making it all in one go which was a bit of a disaster. I'll be doing it as you suggested next time. Julee

      Delete
  12. Thanks Wendy, I will be making this on Saturday! Cannot wait. Bless you for sharing.
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wendy - how do I convert this for a bread machine. I normally make a 750g loaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never used a bread machine so I'm only guessing here. Halve the ingredients which should give you one 700g loaf.

      Delete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.