Tuesday 7 October 2014

Chicken Curry


Here is my family's all time favourite recipe. It came from an American slow cooker recipe book. I've changed and adapted it so much that I can call it my own recipe. The original recipe only had two vegetables included so I added some more.  My family would happily eat it 2 - 3 times a week.

2  chicken fillets diced and cooked, or use leftover chicken bits
1 - 2 sticks of celery sliced
2 carrots sliced
1 1/2 cup of green beans ( I use frozen )
1/2 a capsicum diced
4 medium potatoes peeled and cut into medium pieces
1/2 cup of sultanas
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 can of water
1 teaspoon of curry powder - more if you like it hot
1 teaspoon ground ginger
dried onion, chives and garlic to taste ( use fresh if desired)
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons of corn flour plus 1/4 cup of water to thicken



Cook chicken and place in bottom of slow cooker. Place the potatoes on top of the chicken
Add carrots, beans, celery capsicum, salt, pepper, onion, chives and garlic on top of chicken.

In a separate bowl, mix the soup,  water, curry powder and ginger.
Pour the soup mixture over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
Add more water if needed until everything is just covered.
Cook on high for 8 - 10 hours until the potato is soft.
Add sultanas 1/2 hour before serving.
Thicken with corn flour if needed just before eating.

Serve with rice

Chicken curry just before serving

Leftovers for the freezer

14 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy, Yum, looks delicious, love a good curry. I will be adding this one to the recipe folder, thanks, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely giving this one a go! Do you use 4 bean mix?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds tasty, thanks for sharing! Can I ask is there a reason you cook the chicken before adding it to the slow cooker? I have only cooked chicken a couple of times in mine, and (no matter what the meat is) I always skip browning it, but curious if there's a reason for it in this recipe? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ok about putting raw chops in the slow cooker but I'm very fussy about cooking chicken. I guess I'm trying to avoid food poisoning ( probably a bit dramatic but no one has had food poisoning from my cooking ). That's why I always turn the slow cooker on first then put ingredients in. Same with only using boiling water. My aim is to get the temperature up as quickly as possible.

      I won't cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker either. It's just too big and too risky.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Wendy for this recipe. It looks good and contains all the ingredients that I have on hand. I won't include the sultanas though, as I know my family would be put off the entire meal if they were included. Will this affect the taste of the meal much? Regards, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family doesn't like sultanas either but they love them in the curry. It gives it a difference of flavour like a sweet and sour. Could you throw a few in and see what they say ?

      Delete
  5. Thanks. I will throw a few sultanas in and test it out. Today was a great day as I ventured to the City of Casey to attend a free 'reduce your waste' workshop. It spoke about how to save money by recycling and reducing what we use and reducing our utility usage around the home. Afterwards, I struck up a conversation with a lovely lady who is struggling with needing to budget and save and so I directed her to your blog and to the cheapskate site. It was really wonderful to be in a position to help guide her and to see how far I've progressed in my own savings journey. Thanks again for your commitment to helping others be less burdened and more empowered in their lives. Regards, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking recipe, thank you Wendy. Another one to add to my regulars :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wendy, I just made this last night as I had a leftover cooked chicken that needed using. I have to say, it was very delicious. Perfect for families as it was not too hot but had a lovely flavour. Thanks so much. I also had leftovers that I am going to freeze for work lunches. Great recipe. Regards Rachael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it Rachael. We don't like things too hot and spicy. It's also budget friendly because you don't need much meat. We quite often have enough leftovers for 3 - 4 single serves.

      Delete
  8. Tried this recipe tonight and if only I tried it earlier! Family friendly and budget friendly. Toddler loves it. I like how you added lots more vegetables than the original recipe. I like to add vegetables were I can! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.