Tuesday 14 October 2014

Making Your Own Air Freshener

Over the years I've tried buying many different brands and scents of air fresheners ( always on sale ). They smell so nice in the supermarket don't they ?  I have one can in each of my bathrooms / toilets and by the time I have half a can left  I can't stand the smell of it any more.  It seems to irritate my nose leaving it tingling and my eyes watering. I also had concerns about spraying all those chemicals in a small closed room.  It can't be good to breathe them in.

So one day I thought there must be a better and healthier way to freshen a room.  I already had a bottle of water soluble lavender oil that I use to help relieve bad headaches.  I thought I'd have a go at making my own air freshener and I've been very happy with the results.  My nose is very happy too.

Here's what you need to make your own air freshener -

Water soluble lavender oil
Cooled boiled water
Small spray bottle

Partially fill the spray bottle with the cooled boiled water.  For a 100ml bottle add about 10 - 15mls of the lavender oil.  Top up with the cooled boiled water,  replace the lid and give it a good shake.  Spray as needed.

TOTAL COST - 70 cents  - $1.05 approx. per 100ml bottle


NOTES -

*  I use Eureka water soluble Lavender Oil found in the toiletry aisle in the supermarket.  Generally it's on the bottom shelf next to the tea tree oil.

*  I used a small spray bottle from the Body Shop that originally had a body spray in it. Megan used a spray bottle that had an ear disinfectant spray in it at one time ( the one you use when you've had your ears pierced )..

*  Using cooled boiled water is important as normal tap water contains flouride etc.  Boiling it gets rid of any germs too.

*  Don't be tempted to use a large spray bottle.  We've found the small 100ml bottle lasts a very long time.

*  Other water soluble oils can be used eg - eucalyptus oil now comes in a water soluble form.'


6 comments:

  1. I made this a couple of weeks ago & am very happy with it.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy, I also made this a couple of weeks ago with the Lavender oil and I love it and yes, it does last a long time. I purchased an empty bottle from a store near us called Daiso for $2.50(cost at that time) and it's a lavender colour with a pretty lace print on it but you can get lots of different prints and colours and comes in various sizes. I know I had to buy it , but I can use it over and over again. Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must give this a try Wendy, sounds so much better than the bought stuff :)

    I saw a recipe recently for Lavender Dusting Cloths on the down to earth face book page, I am going to try making these today and putting them into a pretty decorated jar :) Here is the link if you are interested http://thenerdyfarmwife.com/how-to-make-all-natural-lavender-dusting-cloths/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice blog..I appreciate your effort thank You for sharing this blog..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea Wendy. Thanks for sharing an easy, pocket friendly, natural and long lasting DIY method to make air freshener.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.