Tuesday 13 January 2015

Brown Sugar

Making your own brown sugar is a very simple and frugal thing to do.  You know exactly what is in it and costs about half the price of what supermarkets charge. 

Here's the recipe -

1 kilo of white sugar
3 tablespoons of molasses

Place the sugar into a food processor first.

Then add the molasses.

Blitz the two ingredients for one minute then scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Repeat the process couple of times until the molasses is well blended.

Store in an air tight container in the pantry.

NOTES -

*  Molasses is found in the health food section of the supermarket and costs about $4.00 for a 550 gram jar.

*  Brown sugar can be made in a bowl with a spoon .  It just takes a little longer and can be messy.

*  I use home brand sugar.

*  Total cost for 1 kilo of homemade brown sugar is about $1.60.  Supermarkets charge this amount for only 500 grams.


14 comments:

  1. Thanks Wendy for sharing this recipe. I've been making your recipe up and it's fantastic. Just other thing to cross off the shopping list, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How easy was that?! Thank you Wendy :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Wendy, Just added brown sugar to my shopping list. I will now cross it off and replace it with molasses. Do you know if treacle and molasses are the same? I have received mixed replies, so am unsure..... Have been so enjoying your posts. Thankyou for tips and advice. Reading your Blog keeps me motivated.
    Kind Regards
    Kathryn🙋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I don't know what the difference is. I thought treacle was a stronger form of honey. Molasses is very different to honey. It's very rich and dark.

      Delete
    2. Treacle and Molasses taste nothing alike. I believe that molasses is one of the first things that sugar cane is processed into before raw sugar, white sugar etc. Treacle is more like syrup. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, so it's that easy? I will have to whip some up when I run out, which is pretty soon. I just have to buy the molasses first lol. Thanks Wendy for sharing your culinary wisdom! Cheers Donna Z :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, I have been waiting for your recipe. It looks so easy. Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well - you learn something every day! thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it cheaper to get 2kg sugar from Coles rather then Aldi and woollies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Coles is the cheapest. But they all change their prices on a regular basis.

      Delete
  8. Hi wendy can you substitute molasses with golden syrup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I don't think you can. They are very different in flavour, thickness and color.

      Delete
  9. Love this!!!! I have brought molasses in the past for my horse from the local pet supply and I got 3litres for 5.00 not sure if the price has change but I am curious to find out... food for thought anyway.
    Thanks kylie Brooks

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.