Tuesday 5 May 2015

Chunky Roast Beef And Vegetable Soup.

This soup is a great way to stretch a couple of leftover slices of roast beef.  I cook my beef in the slow cooker with beef stock and half a packet of french onion soup mix.  I always keep the leftover liquid to make this soup.  

2-3 slices of roast beef cut into very small pieces
reserved beef and French onion stock from slow cooker approx 600 - 800 mls
3/4 cup of soup mix rinsed well
4 large potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
2 large carrots peeled and cut into small cubes
5 or 6 button mushrooms sliced
1 stalk of celery cubed
1 broccoli stalk. Remove outer layer and dice the remaining stalk
1 small onion diced or use dried onion flakes
2/3 cup of small shell pasta
parsley and pepper to taste
Boiled water

Beef stock powder - maybe 1 tablespoon if needed to enhance flavour.

Place all ingredients into a large saucepan. Top up with boiled water until everything is just covered. Bring to the boil then simmer for 1 hour or until carrots and potato are soft.

Serve with buttered bread or toast or have it on it's own
.



I'm sorry,  I forgot to take a photo of it cooking.  This photo was taken when it had been frozen.

NOTES -

*  As always,  you can chop and change the vegetables to suit what you have on hand.  If you need more potatoes to make it thick,  then add more.

*  If roast lamb is what you have,  then use that.

8 comments:

  1. Wendy, this just sounds like Winter and comfort food all over. Yummy. Can't wait to try it~ Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful recipe to extend the flavour of beef yet use so little of it - looks like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy, just the right time for a soup like this. After making the Roast, do you freeze the leftover liquid or make the soup within a day or two? Can't wait to give this a go, thanks,xxx
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to make the soup in the next day or so after cooking the roast. If not, then I freeze the beef stock.

      Delete
  4. My Nan made a soup similar to this! We loved it. We almost grew up on it.
    I will try this as Nans recipe was rigged I think... she dictated it to me and yet it never turned out like her soup.
    I can live on soup. I usually have soup for lunch through autumn and winter. Thanks Wendy.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can live on soup too. I have veg soup just about every day for lunch like you do. Getting all those veggies must keep me healthy as I rarely get a cold.

      Delete
  5. There is nothing quite like a chunky vegie soup on those cold wet winter days or nights with a lovey piece of home baked bread toasted and spread with lashings of butter, not margarine lol! This is exactly what we had for dinner tonight. Cheers Donna Z :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! I love winter foods. I will add this to my recipe folder, thank you Wendy :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.