Monday 22 February 2016

Pita Chips

I first heard about pita chips when Darren,  myself and the girls were on holidays visiting family in Tasmania.  Darren's step mother made  them for us as a healthy snack to munch on.  They are so easy to make,  can be stored for months at a time and are super budget friendly.

Here's how I make them-

1 bag of pita bread.  I like to use wholemeal pita bread.  It's better for you and the kids won't notice the difference.

Oven trays

Olive oil spray - optional

Seasoning - optional.

Cut the pita breads into long strips about 3 - 4 centimetres wide or just over an inch
Then cut the strips into bite size pieces.
Spread the pita pieces evenly onto the oven trays
Bake in the oven at 160 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes.
Allow to cool before storing in an airtight container.

NOTES -

*  The olive oil and seasoning is an optional extra if you want to eat them as an alternative to potato chips.  Lightly spray the olive oil and sprinkle salt or potato seasoning over the pita chips before baking.

*  If you season the pita chips,  they do take a little longer to crisp up in the oven

*  Please make sure the pita chips are not overlapping each other on the tray.  If they overlap,  some parts of the pita bread will not bake and need more baking time.

*  I always rotate the tray halfway through the cooking time for even baking.

*  Check the pita chips at the 15 minute mark to prevent over cooking.  Some ovens are hotter than others.


6 comments:

  1. I love doing this with my home made pita or flat bread, it's a great way to use up leftover or day old bread too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy,

    Love pita chips and much healthier than chips and my family love them.

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Wendy, we like dips and I think this would go well! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder! I used to make these with my class when I taught in the kitchen garden. They are perfect with homemade hommus or other dip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing! I will have to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the recipe. We like Pita Bread. With my husband having health issues and me trying to get him to eat healthier, this is definitely worth trying.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.