Monday 3 October 2016

Lemon Slice

I love pretty much  anything lemon flavoured including this lemon slice.  The trick to making a great lemon slice is to include lemon juice in the icing on top.  The more zing the better.  I've tasted a quite a few lemon slices that don't have the lemon flavour and I've been left wondering what slice it was.

This slice keeps for a couple of weeks in the fridge and travels well too.


1/2 a tin of sweetened condensed milk.  I think the current size is 400grams

125 grams of melted butter

1 x 250 gram packet of Marie or milk arrowroot  biscuits or similar sweet biscuit

1 tablespoon of lemon juice

1 cup of shredded coconut

Grated zest of 1 medium lemon ( I like to add more )


Crush the biscuits with a rolling pin or in a food processor.
Add all other ingredients and mix well until everything is wet.
Place into an oblong slice tin and pat down with the palm of your hand.
Refrigerate for one hour

Lemon icing -

Approx. 1  1/4 cups of icing sugar
juice of 1/2 a lemon

Mix together until a thick icing is made.  Add a little extra lemon juice if needed.
Spread the icing over the slice working quickly to even and smooth it out
Add a little extra shredded coconut to the top of the icing and press slightly into the icing.
Return to the fridge to set.

To cut the slice,  take it out of the fridge for 1/2 hour before cutting.  It can be cut in the tin or taken out and cut. 
Store in containers with baking paper between each layer.



9 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy.

    Love Lemon slice and the tangier the better. And great to use Moo Condensed milk. I've also seen a recipe where you roll the mixture up into little balls like truffles and roll in coconut or icing.

    Thanks,
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, easy and no cooking. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That slice is a favourite at our house, but we wouldn't know that it lasts in the fridge for two weeks! I think it will usually last two or three days. Delicious! Julie D Pilbara WA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to find an equivalent for Marie biscuits here in the US, and much to my surprise found that Maries are sold worldwide, under the same name no matter where you go. Here in the US they are sold as Marias.

    Marie biscuits were created in 1874 to commemorate the marriage of of the Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna of Russia to the Duke of Edinburgh. That's 142 years of plain little Marie biscuits! Kind of amazing.

    So happy to be able to get authentic Maries to make this slice.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wendy, I love this recipe, I have an abundance of limes at the moment and I am going to give them a go in this recipe instead of lemons.
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very excited to try this, I live in a rural area and my lovely neighbours allow me access to their lemon tree!!! Can't wait to pick some lemons with my son and make this with him..

    Thank you, kylie brooks 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. How many grams is "a packet" of Marie biscuits? They are sold in many different sizes here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use milk arrowroot and the packet is 250 grams. I'll adjust the recipe for you.

      Delete
  8. This would be great with 5 butternut cookies mixed into it too.. crumble them in.. if too big put in a sandwich bag & tap on the kitchen bench till happy with the crumble result then mix into mixture πŸ™‚πŸ‘πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.