Summer is about to hit Melbourne next week and temperatures will rise to above 40 degrees Celsius during the next three months. I've started thinking and planning a strategy for coping with this heat. I'll start a list of things I do. I'm hoping everyone can add their ideas to the list so we can help each other.
Here's what I plan to do -
* Open doors in the morning to cool the house and close as soon as the temperature rises
* Keep the curtains closed all day
* Turn potable electric fans on while the cooling is on a little lower. The cool breeze from the fans is great and helps to circulate the air
* Keeping jugs of water in the fridge
* Filling ice cube trays for the freezer. Great for drinks and wiping over hot faces
* Making icy poles in the freezer. Orange juice, cordial and flavoured milk work well.
* Making jelly for desserts
* Using wet face washers to cool you down
* Making a couple of day's worth of salads at a time
* Vacuuming early in the morning
* Using a carpet sweeper if it's too hot to vacuum
* Finding the coolest room in the house and hiding there
For the chickens we -
* Dunk them in cool water a couple of times a day
* Spray them with the garden hose
* Feed them frozen watermelon
* Freeze 2 litre milk containers and putting them in the coop at night ( air conditioning )
What do you do to keep cool in Summer ?